Cody J. Cooper
Cody J. Cooper represents individuals and companies in a wide range of intellectual property and civil litigation matters. His practice primarily concentrates on intellectual property, including patent prosecution and litigation, trademark and copyright matters, and commercial litigation in state and federal courts.
Cody graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Law with Honors. While in law school, he served as the managing editor of the American Indian Law Review, Magister (President) of the legal honors fraternity Phi Delta Phi and was on the Dean’s Honor Roll. He was also a mentor on the Dean’s Leadership Council for incoming law students and earned the American Jurisprudence Award for Civil Procedure II. He was a semi-finalist at the University of West Virginia Energy Law Moot Court Competition.
Cody received his bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Finance and Management Information Systems. He has a general science and engineering background, which qualified him to become registered before the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a practicing patent attorney. As an undergraduate student, he worked for a Fortune 100 company as a systems analyst intern in the business and technology group, working with a number of complex software suites that provided critical services to the business.
Cody is actively involved in community and charitable organizations and has volunteered with a number of organizations including Camp Cavett, NewView Oklahoma, Salvation Army, various public schools throughout the Oklahoma City Metro and others.
Born and raised in Norman, Oklahoma, Cody now lives in Oklahoma City with his wife and two dogs. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with friends and family, playing sports and attending Oklahoma City Thunder and Sooner sporting events.
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A. with Distinction, 2009)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D. with Honors, 2012)
- 2012, Oklahoma
- 2012, U.S. District Court, Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Technology Committee)
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (Board Member)
- Luther Bohanon Inn of Court
- Tried cases in both state and federal court
- Defended actions alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, copyright violations, patent disputes, deceptive trade practices and trademark disputes
- Defended product manufacturers against claims of product liability, manufacturing defects, design defects and failure to adequately warn
- Represented companies and individuals in lawsuits involving allegations of breach of contract, class action claims, faulty construction services, medical malpractice, estate disputes, negligence and fraud
- Represented plaintiﬀs and defendants in lawsuits involving personal injury including wrongful death actions
- Represented oil and gas companies in obtaining receiverships over mineral owners who could not be located
- Represents individuals and companies in a wide range of civil litigation matters
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star; 2016-2018
- Listed by "Best Lawyers in America" in Commercial Litigation (2020)
- Member, Oklahoma County Bar Association Awards Committee
- Cooper named Court Appointed Special Advocates board member
- Phillips Murrah announces 48 attorneys named to 2020 Best Lawyers list
- NewsOK Q&A: IP assignment agreement is key to invention ownership
- Gavel to Gavel: IP agreement is key to invention ownership
- Phillips Murrah announces 21 attorneys named to 2018 Super Lawyers list
- Cooper, Ybarra elected to OCBA Board of Directors
- Monkey’s business?
- What’s in a name? Tremendous value
- Phillips Murrah attorneys selected as 2017 Super Lawyers
- Attorney Cody Cooper elected Chair of OCBA Young Lawyers Division
- Phillips Murrah Attorney Cody Cooper earns patent license
- Firm hosts welcoming party for incoming summer law clerks
- Phillips Murrah attorneys selected as 2016 Super Lawyers
- Phillips Murrah attorney graduates OBA Leadership Academy
- Judge orders plaintiff to produce Facebook file
- Phillips Murrah attorneys judge Calvert Moot Court competition
- Attorney Cody Cooper accepted to OBA Leadership Academy
- Tort reform shows how Oklahoma product liability law evolves
- An Overview of Oklahoma Product Liability Law
- Technology: E-Discovery Under Rule 26
- PM attorneys publish Oklahoma Product Liability Law article in Bar Journal
- Firm adopts family for Oklahoma Family Network
- In the wake of Ferguson
- Cody Cooper Explains BYOD Policy
- The “Bring Your Own Device” Boon Comes at the Expense of Security. How Can You Protect Your Business?
- Phillips Murrah adds lawyers