Lauren Barghols Hanna’s state and federal litigation practice is focused on labor and employment law. As a part of her employment practice, Lauren counsels and represents management in all phases of the employment relationship, including litigation matters involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment and wrongful discharge claims, whistleblower claims, claims related to employment agreements and theft of trade secrets, and other disputes arising from the workplace. She also works with employers in crafting appropriate employment policies and procedures, employee handbooks, non-disclosure/non-solicitation agreements, and employee severance agreements and releases.
Lauren’s practice in the area of water rights frequently involves the representation of landowners in obtaining groundwater and streamwater permits for irrigation, oil and gas industry production, and other beneficial uses.
Lauren is a contributing author to the Oklahoma Employment Law Letter and has been interviewed by The Oklahoman, served as a guest legal columnist for The Journal Record business newspaper, and spoken at seminars on a variety of employment-related topics. She also authored the Oklahoma chapter of the LexisNexis Waters and Water Rights treatise.
In addition to her legal practice at the firm, she serves as a volunteer attorney for Oklahoma Lawyers for Children, a nonprofit organization that uses the time, talent, and resources of pro bono lawyers to represent and assist children in various matters, including parental termination jury trials before the Oklahoma County District Court (Juvenile Division). In 2014, the Oklahoma CASA Association honored Lauren with its “Attorney of the Year” award for her work with OLFC. Lauren and her family also work with the Tinker Air Force Base Home Away From Home Program, welcoming Airmen serving their first tour into their family for holiday meals, birthday celebrations, summer cookouts, and other activities to create community and mentorship for young enlisted airmen.
Born and raised in Oklahoma, Lauren lives in Edmond with her husband Adam and her two children. Her hobbies include rowing, camping, and OU sports.
- University of Oklahoma (B.A., summa cum laude, international relations, 2004, Phi Beta Kappa, President’s Leadership Class, Captain, OU Women’s Rowing Team)
- University of Oklahoma (J.D., with highest honors, 2007, Order of the Coif, Submissions Editor of the Oklahoma Law Review, Comfort Scholar)
- Oklahoma, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Member, Oklahoma Bar Association Budget Committee)
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Board of Directors; Delegate, Oklahoma Bar Association House of Delegates; Chair, 2013 Law Day Committee)