Jim Roth is a member of the Firm’s Energy & Natural Resources Practice Group and a leader in clean energy issues. He represents individuals and both publicly-owned and private companies in a range of business, energy, and environmental issues, as well as a variety of public policy and regulatory matters.
The focus of Jim ’s practice continues to grow in the directions of clean energy and all public policy issues with energy and environmental implications. He often lectures on these related issues and currently serves as a Board Member to The American Clean Skies Foundation (a DC-based clean energy effort), a Board Member for TexCom, a Texas-based environmental services, publicly-traded company, and a Board Member for Global Innovation Platform, a Texas-based start-up and a comprehensive Internet of Things network orchestrator forging value from data produced within the built environment.
Hand-selected by Governor Brad Henry to serve as an Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner in 2007, Jim held the office through January 2009 when he joined Phillips Murrah. He was first elected County Commissioner for Oklahoma County in 2002 and, in 2006, was the first re-elected County Commissioner in over a decade.
Additionally, on July 1, 2018, Jim began serving as the Dean of the Oklahoma City University School of Law, his alma mater. He is thoroughly enjoying bringing leadership and innovation to preparing tomorrow’s lawyers for the legal profession.
A devoted community advocate and public servant, he says, “public service feeds my soul,” and Jim is currently a board member for Greater Oklahoma City United Way and Oklahoma Humane Society, and is a trustee for the City of Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust Authority.
Born in Prairie Village, Kansas, Jim has called Oklahoma City home since 1991. An avid outdoorsman, he enjoys exploring nature, time at the lake, and traveling with his husband Philip, family, friends, and their golden retrievers.
- Kansas State University (B.A., 1991)
- Oklahoma City University (J.D., 1994)
- Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government (Graduate, 2004)
- United States Air War College’s National Security Forum (Graduate, 2004)
- The Institute of Public Utilities, Michigan State University (Graduate, 2007)
- 1994, Kansas
- 1995, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- National Association of Civil County Attorneys (Former President)
- Governor’s Council for Workforce and Economic Development (Appointed Board Member, Green Jobs emphasis)
- Oklahoma Sustainability Network’s “Green” Building Codes Project, “Bring It Home” (Project Director)
- American Law Institute