Terry L. Hawkins
Terry L. Hawkins is a Director and Chair of the Firm’s Public Finance Practice Group. He represents state and local political subdivisions in a wide range of finance matters, where in the capacity of bond counsel, he assists counties, municipalities, school districts, and rural water districts finance their capital improvement projects.
Since 1981, Terry has participated in more than 3,000 municipal finance projects across Oklahoma. He co-authored “Oklahoma Municipal Bonds” (3RD ED. 1987; 4TH ED. 1993; 5TH ED. 1995; 6TH ED. 1999).
Terry is a board member of Heritage Hills Historical Preservation, Inc. He is a past board member of Mountain View Public Schools, a past board of investors member of the Oklahoma EDGE fund and was a member of Class XI of the Oklahoma Agricultural Leadership Program. He is also on the Board of Governors for the Oklahoma State University Foundation.
Born in Hobart, Oklahoma, he and his wife, Brenda, have a cow-calf operation on 3,600 acres near Mountain View, Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma State University (B.S., 1978)
- University of Oklahoma (J.D., 1981)
- 1981, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel
- Representative experience in municipal financings:
- Epworth Villa Retirement facility in Oklahoma City
- Bar-S Foods Co. facilities in Altus, Lawton and Elk City
- Family Dollar distribution facility in Duncan
- J. M. Huber manufacturing facility in Broken Bow
- Dome of the State Capitol
- Gallagher-Iba Arena and Boone Pickens Stadium at Oklahoma State University
- Hospital financings in Alva, Atoka, Carnegie, Elk City, Hobart, Okeene and Weatherford
- Water and sewer system financings for municipalities and rural water districts and school district financings in all 77 counties
- Worked exclusively in the area of public finance law for political subdivisions of the state, including counties, municipalities, public trusts, school districts and rural water districts since 1981
- Fellow, American College of Bond Counsel
- Super Lawyers (2014-present)
- Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters: Public Finance Law (2013-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™
- Best Lawyers®: Lawyer of the Year in OKC: Public Finance Law (2019)
- Phillips Murrah announces 61 attorneys named to 2021 Best Lawyers lists
- Phillips Murrah announces 48 attorneys named to 2020 Best Lawyers list
- Phillips Murrah announces 44 attorneys named to 2019 Best Lawyers list
- Phillips Murrah announces 37 attorneys named to 2018 Best Lawyers list
- Firm hosts welcoming party for incoming summer law clerks
- Russell Westbrook has his own room at the Hawkins’ house
- Phillips Murrah announces 35 attorneys named to 2017 Best Lawyers list
- Director named to OSU Foundation Board of Governors
- Phillips Murrah announces 35 attorneys named to 2016 Best Lawyers list
- In the news: Director Terry Hawkins hired to help with school finance projects
- 29 Attorneys Selected for 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- U.S. News: Phillips Murrah has Strong Showing for Best Lawyers in America
- What’s going on here?