G. Calvin Sharpe is a Director in the Firm and an experienced trial attorney. The majority of his practice focuses on matters involving medical malpractice, products liability and insurance. G. Calvin also has an established Native American law practice representing both Native American and non-native clients in tribal courts.
G. Calvin has spent his entire legal career inside Oklahoma courtrooms, defending the business interests of a diverse group of national and regional clients, including doctors, pharmacies, product manufacturers, and energy producers. He is a member and past president of the American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation-only organization devoted to the preservation of the jury trial system and the promotion of civility in the courtroom. He is also past president of the Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel. As a successful trial attorney, G. Calvin has vast experience in preparing for and trying complex litigation cases and class action suits related to medical malpractice, medical devices, catastrophic injury, automobiles, and wrongful death, to name a few.
Over the years, G. Calvin has gained valuable experience successfully handling environmental matters, including the wind energy project, Big Smile Wind Farm at Dempsey Ridge, located in Western Oklahoma. He also has done extensive work with the Oklahoma Underground Facilities Damage Prevention Act, which yielded the reported cases of Jones v. Oklahoma Natural Gas Company and Bond v. Oklahoma Natural Gas Company.
A Native American deeply connected to the culture and tradition of his ancestors, G. Calvin is an advocate in the community and the courts. He is admitted to practice in the Seminole Nation Tribal Court, Cherokee Nation Tribal Court, Supreme Court of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, Chickasaw Nation Tribal Court, and Osage Nation Tribal Court.
In 2010, he received The Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award for his outstanding contributions to the community and the legal profession.
Born and raised in Oklahoma City, G. Calvin is an outdoor enthusiast to the core. He enjoys rowing, hunting, fishing, and nearly every other sporting and outdoor activity.
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A., 1982)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 1985)
- 1986, Oklahoma
- 1986, U.S. District Court, Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- 1986, U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- 2006, Cherokee Nation Tribal Court
- 2007, Supreme Court of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation
- 2008, Chickasaw Nation Tribal Court
- 2012, Osage Nation Tribal Court
- 2014, Seminole Nation of Oklahoma Tribal Court
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Oklahoma Chapter; Secretary, 2011-2012; President – 2012-2013)
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel (Vice President, 2005-2006; Board of Directors, 2006-present; President, 2011-2012)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Diversity Committee, 2005-present; Trial Techniques & Tactics, 1992-present; Products Liability, 1992-present)
- Defense Research Institute (Trial Techniques, 1998-present; Diversity, 2005-present; Medical Liability & Health Care, & Insurance 1998-present)
- Federal Bar Association (Native American Law Section member)
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (Chairman, Annual Committee, 1995-1996; Board of Directors, 1991-1992 and 2010-2013; Young Lawyers Division, 1986-1994; President, 1992)
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Evidence Code Committee, 1991-1992; Young Lawyers Division, Board of Directors, 1992-1993; Professional Responsibility Committee, 1992-1993)
- American Bar Association (Member: Tort & Insurance Practice, Litigation, Trial Techniques, Medicine & Law Sections)
- National Native American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Indian Bar Association
- Luther Bohanon American Inn of Court XXIII