Being unmarried when you become a parent poses some challenges pertaining to parental rights.

Whether the client is a father trying to obtain legal rights to see his child or a mother trying to get child support, Phillips Murrah’s family law attorneys assist clients in a variety of ways.

Establishing paternity is the legal process used in Oklahoma to determine the identity of a child’s legal father. A paternity action is used when unmarried parents have a child and a case can be filed in the county where the mother, child or father – alleged or proven – lives.

Paternity actions are generally used to recover reasonable expenses of a birth mother if the case is filed within three years of the child’s birth, to establish and recover child support, to determine child custody, to determine and establish visitation rights, and to establish or determine the last name of the child.