Revised Form I-9 now available

Published on August 15, 2017

On Monday, July 17, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.

Instructions for how to download Form I-9 are available on the Form I-9 page. Employers can use this revised version or continue using Form I-9 with a revision date of “11/14/16 N” through September 17.

Beginning September 18, employers must use the revised form with a revision date of “07/17/17 N.” Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9.

Revisions included the Form I-9 instructions, changing the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name—Immigrant and Employee Rights Section, and “the end of” was removed from the phrase “the first day of employment.”

Additional revisions were to the List of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9 including:

  • Addition of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Sections 2 and 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
  • All the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350, and Form FS-240) were combined into selection C #2 in List C.
  • All List C documents except the Social Security card have been renumbered. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C changed from List C #8 to List C #7.

USCIS included these changes in the revised Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274), which is also easier for users to navigate.

Disclaimer: This website post is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers should not rely upon this information as a substitute for personal legal advice. If you have a legal concern, you should seek legal advice from an attorney.