Day in the Life: Jim Roth


[ OCTOBER 2010 – OKLAHOMA CITY, OK ] 5:45 a.m.: Woke up to a friendly, hungry golden retriever lick on my arm – got up to feed Max (8-year-old male golden) and Bella (4-year-old female golden) their breakfast.

5:50 a.m.: Made a pot of coffee and enjoyed two cups while walking around the yard, watering new plants and shrubs that have miraculously survived Oklahoma’s August.

6:10 a.m.: Grabbed my BlackBerry to: 1) review my calendar for the day, 2) read and return e-mails and text messages, and 3) check Facebook.

7 a.m.: Turned on “Good Morning America” while eating breakfast: Cheerios, skim milk, a banana and a protein shake; continued replying to work e-mails.

7:30 a.m.: Showered and threw on a suit.

7:40 a.m.: Drove to work, via a quick stop by the P.O. box and arrived by 8 a.m.

8:06 a.m.: Checked voice mail and dove back into work e-mails; turned in client hours from previous workweek.

9:04 a.m.: Researched a “clean” energy issue for client and drafted a reply e-mail.

10 a.m.: Teleconference with an out-of-state client regarding public policy development impacting their business, Congressional proposals and impacts.

10:30 a.m.: Teleconference with an Oklahoma-based foundation regarding work project.

11:17 a.m.: Met with another Phillips Murrah attorney regarding status of client matter: business dissolution and buy-out.

11:32 a.m.: Hit the gym for a workout over lunch with my trainer (John White at the Park Harvey).

12:16 p.m.: Grabbed lunch (turkey sandwich and zucchini soup) at First Edition Café in Downtown OKC Library on my walk back to the office; ate lunch at my desk while listening to the news recap on and replying to e-mail.

12:43 p.m.: Met with fellow attorney at Phillips Murrah to discuss client issues for a wind development project; determined course of action and notified prospective client.

1:16 p.m.: Conducted client research on national energy policy proposals, federal regulatory development and climate change/emissions objectives.

2:32 p.m.: Met with intern to review progress on assigned research project: multistate regulatory analysis of energy issues.

3:04 p.m.: Returned client phone calls.

3:17 p.m.: Prepared for client team meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning.

4:32 p.m.: Hit the break room to mix a protein shake.

4:46 p.m.: Reviewed monthly billing and sent reply to accounting department.

5:03 p.m.: Read and researched legal issues and began drafting an opinion memo for client: regulatory issues impacting alternative energy.

6:05 p.m.: Drove home, fed the dogs, played with them outside for a while.

6:47 p.m.: Showered, changed clothes and headed to host my friend Tom Taylor’s 41st birthday dinner at Pachinko Parlor: great sushi and great friends.

9:33 p.m.: Returned home, sat outside watching the stars for a few minutes, checked my BlackBerry, replied to a few e-mails and watched the start of the evening news.

10:16 p.m.: Brushed my teeth, washed my face and headed to bed – ready to start the fun over again in seven hours!