Kathryn D. Terry
Kathryn’s insurance coverage practice includes representing both major insurance companies and their insured’s in coverage and liability disputes. In addition to coverage advice and defense, she also provides claims handling training and consultation for her insurance clients. For policyholders, both individuals and businesses of all sizes, Kathryn gives guidance on risks and exposures for which insurance is recommended, coverage audits and recommendations and helps resolves questions of coverage between her clients and their insurance companies. In coverage matters, Kathryn has successfully defended coverage and extra-contractual tort claim disputes on behalf of carriers by achieving dismissals before trial and final judgments concluding no coverage.
The labor and employment aspect of Kathryn’s legal practices focuses on employer representation, defense and training. In addition to defending, wage, labor, contract and discrimination lawsuits, claims and grievances of all kinds, she also advises on the above areas, including employment related regulatory requirements, human resources, personnel management, developing policies and procedures and record keeping. Kathryn has represented corporate clients with nationwide operations in large collective actions, resolving overtime exemption disputes under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
A substantial part of Kathryn ’s practice includes rendering advice to and the defense of law enforcement officers, municipalities and agencies regarding civil and constitutional rights matters. Since 2000, she has defended numerous municipalities, agencies and law enforcement officers in many excessive force and unlawful search cases. She has successfully defended officers and towns all the way through jury verdicts and appeals. Kathryn has also defended several municipalities, officers, government agencies and contractors against due process and property rights claims. In keeping with her close relationship to law enforcement communities in Oklahoma, she also represents municipalities and officers during internal grievances and administrative disputes. Working closely with local municipalities, she offers training to their law enforcement officers on a range of issues related to labor, use of force and constitutional rights, including due process and 4th Amendment protections.
Kathryn also defends business owners and executives, ranging from sole-proprietorships and family-owned businesses, to corporations with complex multistate or national operations, in comprehensive litigation matters, including commercial and employment related class actions, as well as “bet the company” liability claims.
Kathryn currently serves as a board member for the Edmond Soccer Club and is a previous member of the Governor’s State Advisory Group on Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- University of Oklahoma (B.A., summa cum laude, 1993; J.D., with Honors, 1996)
- 1996, Oklahoma
- 1996, Oklahoma Supreme Court
- 1996, U.S. District Court, Western District of Oklahoma
- 1997, U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- 1997, U.S. Court of Appeals,Eighth Circuit
- 1999, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- 1999, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma
- 2002, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Oklahoma
- 2004, U.S. Supreme Court
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel
- William J. Holloway American Inn of Court (Associate Member, 1999 Chairman)
- Successfully defended major insurance company against claims of bad faith, fraud and breach of contract on novel issue of coverage law in Oklahoma
- Successfully presented and obtained declaratory judgment in favor of major insurance company on various coverage matters
- Successfully defended, through trial and verdict, national origin discrimination claims against road construction company
- Successfully defended major retailer against claims of gender, race, religious and disability discrimination
- Successfully defended municipal law enforcement agencies against claims of civil and constitutional rights violations
- Presented and successfully obtained judgment for violations of due process on issue of first impression in Oklahoma
- Successfully prosecuted and obtained multi-million dollar jury verdicts
- Representing both major insurance companies and their insureds in coverage and liability disputes
- Defending, wage, labor, contract and discrimination lawsuits, claims and grievances of all kinds
- Rendering advice to and the defense of law enforcement officers, municipalities and agencies regarding civil and constitutional rights matters
- Governor’s State Advisory Group on Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (1996)
- Edmond Soccer Club (Board Member)